For people who live in places with warm climates, air conditioning is really something that you cannot live without. So, it is important that as an air conditioning system owner, you understand a bit about how to avoid and detect problems, so that you don’t end up having to spend unnecessarily to repair an issue which needn’t have happened in the first place.
Companies who carry out AC repair in Las Vegas can get stretched – especially during hot spells when AC systems are tested to their maximum, so people who understand about some common air conditioning problems can find themselves at an advantage to those who don’t.
So, with this in mind, here are some common air conditioning problems, and tips on how to prevent (sometimes) unnecessary repairs which can turn out to be costly:
● Frozen Coil – A common problem is a frozen coil. This can usually occur as a result of one of two things – low refrigerant or a blockage in the air flow. Firstly, make sure that you have enough refrigerant in your system. The other issue – a restriction in the air flow would usually mean a block in the return air duct or dirty air filters. One way to help to prevent this is by regularly changing or cleaning your air filters.
● Air Filters – It is important that AC system owners regularly change or clean their air filters. Not only does this significantly affect the efficiency of your AC, but also affects your (and your family’s) health. By changing your air conditioning filters, you can help to ensure that the air that you and your family is breathing is as clean as possible. You will also find that if the filters are dirty, you will make the system have to work harder, thus becoming less efficient and more prone to breakdown. Try to change or clean your filters at least every three months to avoid needing AC repairs.
● Thermostats – If you notice that you seem to have the air conditioning on but it doesn’t seem to be changing the temperature, it might be that you have a problem with your thermostat. Thermostats help you to regulate the temperature, as well as help you to save energy by giving you the opportunity to control your use and have it on only when it is needed. Sometimes you might need to re-synchronise it or perhaps get someone to look at it.
● Annual Check-Up – It is recommended that you have an annual check-up to make sure that everything is working properly and to detect any potential problems as early as possible. It is possible, however, that you might forget your annual check-up. If this is the case, book one as soon as possible – even if you don’t think that anything is wrong. A good way to remember to book your annual check-up is to make it on a significant day each year. Maybe around a birthday, at the beginning of the summer or the day after Easter Day.
● Warm Air Leaking in – If you have noticed that your AC is blowing warm air when it should be cool, it is most likely due to a leak in the refrigerant. As the refrigerant is on a loop, there shouldn’t be any leakage, so if you notice this, it is worth checking your pipes to ensure that there is no leakage and if there is – even a small amount, get it repaired before it becomes a bigger problem.
One of the most effective ways of ensuring that you won’t have to fork out for expensive repairs to your AC system is be being able to identify when there is a problem. By being observant, listening for strange noises and having annual check-ups, you will hopefully be able to catch the issue before it becomes a big one. AC repairs in Las Vegas can be difficult to get a short notice, especially in the hotter months, so by being prepared and knowledgeable, you can help to avoid costly repairs – or worse.
If you liked this article, subscribe to Rentometer's email newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest trends in rental housing.